Sunday, August 9, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #18: "Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles

So, if you're just joining me.... I looked at the Billboard Top 20 hits of 1990 and now I'm attempting to do a covers of all of them. Today is #18, "Black Velvet", performed by Alannah Myles. Written by David Tyson and Christopher Ward. I just Wikipedia'd the song--didn't realize that it was a hit on the Country Charts as well (in a version sung by Robin Lee)--makes sense. This song has a total country feel to it. As I scanned down this top 20 list, "Black Velvet" kind of stands out to me--it really doesn't fit that early 90's style of music at all. It's kind of a basic-blues structure song, with a killer chorus, which makes it a bona fide hit. My sister Jean sang this at karaoke on a family vacation--I think that is still my favorite rendition of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment