Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #10: "Blaze of Glory" by Bon Jovi

Lest we forget, that the late 80s/early 90s was the denoument for Hair Metal, this song is a great reminder. "Blaze of Glory" was written by Jon Bon Jovi and performed by his band for the soundtrack of the forgettable movie, "Young Guns II". The movie starred some very hot young actors of that time: Christian Slater, Kiefer Sutherland, Emilio Estevez. I don't think I ever saw it.

I remember hearing a man sing this at karaoke in Hyannisport in Massachussetts and my sisters and I were wow-ed by him. I guess when I hear this song, I am reminded of how HIGH Jon Bon Jovi can belt. I mean--this is a reallly hard song for a male to sing. Crazy range. So, the song seems like kind of a throw-off for Bon Jovi, but he sure does showcase his voice in it.

Never really was particularly moved by this song, but I do like how it represents somehow the end of an era for Hair Metal. Soon Bon Jovi would be starring in indie flicks (and doing a pretty good job, actually) and then would come back to music, a little subdued (in terms of mousse).


2 comments:

  1. this was like my favorite song back then. still makes me so happy when i hear it.

    awwww..

    excellent siobhan!

    ReplyDelete