Friday, August 21, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #12: "How Am I Supposed To LIve Without You?" by Michael Bolton

I found some verrrry interesting information when I was looking for deets on this song. This song was originally performed and made famous by Laura Branigan in '83. Michael Bolton--then a no-named, frizzy-headed song-writer--co-wrote the song. He would later become famous in the late '80s and take the song for himself. This song has been covered mannnny times, so I am sure both Branigan and Bolton are making fortunes off the royalties of this ditty.

I was having a private bet with myself that this song was by Diane Warren. Kind of seems like one of her songs.

Anyways, very simple but effective structure to this song. The pre-chorus, I think, is the most powerful part of the song ("I don't know the price I'm gonna pay for dreaming/ Now that your dream has come true").

Initially, not looking forward to doing this song today. Thought it was a little "blah". But I was strangely sorta moved by it--it's a little cheesy, but it's actually pretty effective. It does what it's supposed to do.


o

1 comment: