Sunday, December 20, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #9: "Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley" by Will to Power


I would first like for you to take a look at the picture to your left. These people had the #9 song in the country in 1989. I'm sorry, but that would just not happen now. It just wouldn't! A motorcycle man and then a big haired vixen? As a duo?

But in 1989, they were the hottest thing around.

Will to Power had a brilliant idea....a cash cow, really: why not mesh two of the biggest hits of the 1970's into one medley?? And put it out now (now meaning: 1989)? So they mushed together "Baby, I Love Your Way" by Peter Frampton and "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. BRILLIANT. If you don't see me for a little while, it is because I am doing a mash-up of "Hey Ya!" and "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)", two of the biggest hits of the 00's. Then I will be a millionaire, just like Will to Power.

ANYWAYS. I digress.

This video is kind of hilarious. If you have a moment, please go back and look at the original. The first shot is a close up of a book by Nietzsche conveniently titled "Will to Power". The female singer Suzi Carr is writhing around on a beach and a recording studio and Bob Rosenberg then rides in on a motorcycle, his mullet blowing in the wind, his handlebar moustache rustling in the breeze.
Watch the Video

Despite this, Will to Power have an interesting beginning. Rosenberg was a DJ in Miami. Suzi Carr was a singer-songwriter who helped pen some of Miami Sound Machine's hits. They hit it off and started making music together.

No comments:

Post a Comment