Saturday, December 19, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #10: "Giving You the Best That I Got" by Anita Baker


The number 10 song of 1989 was "Giving You the Best That I Got" by Anita Baker, R&B songstress extraordinaire. This song reminds me of dentist offices. I feel like whenever I am at the dentist, this song is playing. I suppose that is because it is smooth and calming. Or perhaps my dentist is trying to hypnotize me into with the sultry voice of Ms. Baker, I have no idea.

The cover of the album (above) to me is just soooo 1989. The hair, the lighting, her outfit, the setting. Everything. This is another song that falls under that "soft rock" category....not sure if that genre really exists anymore...it has melded into so many different subsets.

I didn't know this song very well--it's a bit of a challenge to learn. The melody sort of goes all over the place--lots of jumps. Which is all well and good when you are Anita Baker--not so much when you are Siobhan O'Malley! I knew the hook (where she sings the title), but I didn't remember the verses very well.

Anita Baker, Skip Scarborough and Randy Holland are "GYTBTIG"'s songwriters.

No comments:

Post a Comment