Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #11: "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx

I remember owning a single of the #11 song of 1989, which was "Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx. It was a blue cassette tape. I remember listening to it and thinking, wow,what a nice man that Richard Marx must be!

This song has been covered many, many times. I am joining the ranks.

Richard Marx had this big hair and these big eyes. I think he was supposed to represent the sensitve, attainable guy. And the plan worked. He had some huge singles in the late 80's and early 90's.

I always enjoy the story of the professional back-up singer who goes on to put out a debut smash (see: Sheryl Crow, my idol). Marx sang back up for Whitney Houston, Madonna and Luther Vandross. Meanwhile, he was writing his own material and slipped Kenny Rogers a demo of his work. Rogers loved it and went on to record two of his songs, "Crazy" and "What About Me?"

Marx then started his own songwriting and performing career and "became the first solo artist to reach the Top 5 with his first seven singles". Wow!

I put my piano/keyboard on the harpsichord setting for this song. It kind of sounds ridiculous, but that is part of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment