Monday, December 7, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #12: "Waiting for a Star to Fall" by Boy Meets Girl

The #12 hit of 1989 was "Waiting for a Star to Fall" by the duo Boy Meets Girl.

I wasn't even sure if I knew this song--I saw the title in print and it didn't ring any bells. But then I looked up the video on youtube and realized I totally knew this song...I somehow thought this song was from a much earlier year. Maybe 1985 or 1986.

Boy Meets Girl consisted of a real-life married couple, Shannon Rubicam and George Merrill. The late 80's/early 90's was the last hey-day for soft-rock. Before Alanis came in and threw everything out of whack!

The song was written for Whitney Houston but she didn't use it....Later the song was "offered to
Belinda Carlisle who recorded a demo of it for her Heaven on Earth album. The track remained unreleased, although the demo was later leaked. "

This song has a lot going on in terms of structure. A Verse A / Verse B part / pre-chorus / chorus/ outro....Definitely exciting for me to play a song that has a bit more going on...still no bridge though! (See every other song I have covered so far from 1989...not a bridge among them!).


4 comments:

  1. I like this song much much more than I should. It was a staple on my mix tapes well into college.

    I'm not proud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i kind of like it more than i should too! there are so many different melodies to the song, too, so it's kind of fun.

    i'm not proud, either!

    ReplyDelete