Monday, December 21, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #8: Girl You Know It's True" by Milli Vanilli

Milli Vanilli make a repeat appearance in the top 20 Billboard hits of 1989. Their 2nd single to crack the top 20 was "Girl You Know It's True" by Milli Vanilli. See my other comments on Milli Vanilli here, if you are interested.

Just watched the truly bizarre video for this song. One member of Milli Vanilli basically aggressively chases this woman around a city--through a car, into a telephone booth. At one point she pushes him into a table. Jeez! I would just like to say how BAD the choreography is....it's just awful. I think because it's so half-assed....There are full body shots of both Rob and Fab and they dance, like, every other measure. It's just such a strange choice--dance or not! I am just fascinated as to why the director of this video made this choice.

If you look at the credits for this song, the amount of people involved seems kind of mind-boggling and "it seems that the project had meddling input from virtually everyone except the duo themselves". The actual Man Behind The Curtain songwriters for "Girl, You Know It's True" were Bill Pettaway Jr., Sean Spencer, Kevin Lyles, Rodney Hollaman and Ky Adeyemo. I had no idea that "GYKIT" is a cover song by a rap band Numarx.

Some lyrics worth mentioning:
1. "you are the one i think about most every time".
"MOST??" i mean....if you are really trying to convince "it's true" then ditch the "most", please!

2. "you're pretty plain and simple"
ouch!! are you really trying to win her over? or give her a back-handed compliment? "eh, you're kind of ...homely and not too special....but girl, you know it's true"

3. "maybe your sweet sweet voice would ring in my ear/
then delay my system when you are near"
I'm so very very curious what "delay my system" when you are near. I can't help but think it might be some sort of euphemism for bowel movements.




No comments:

Post a Comment