Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #9: "Cradle of Love" by Billy Idol

Today I am covering "Cradle of Love", the #9 song of 1990. It is by Billy Idol and David Werner.

I remember this video was on MTV ALLTHETIME. You could not escape it. I'm not even sure if I liked the song, but I feel like I was sort of forced to--in a sort of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" way. What really sticks in my mind is the video, not the song. (How Generation X is that? But it's true). The video was trying to get your attention, whether you wanted to give it or not. Just looked up some information--the video was directed by David Fincher--of "Seven", "Fight Club" and "Zodiac" fame. The lighting--extreme chiaroscuro--looks very much like his films.

I kind of like how Billy Idol kind of went all out with his image. He really just said I am going to act/look/dress/behave/sing like a "rock star". Even if it might have been a little in-authentic, you gotta admire that gumption.



No comments:

Post a Comment