Thursday, August 27, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #8: "Hold On" by En Vogue

I know you're not supposed to have favorites....but out of these 20 songs I am covering, I think this is my favorite. I still like En Vogue. I love their harmonies. Their voices are out of the park!

There wasn't really anybody else out there in 1990 who sounded like En Vogue.....they really brought back the Supremes-esque girl group....and led the way for groups later in the 90's, like TLC and Destiny's Child.

This song is just jam-packed with awesome samples and subtle tributes. The acapella intro is part of the song "Who's Lovin' You" by Smokey Robinson...and the horns are samples from "The Payback" by James Brown. The song is authored by Thomas Elroy, Denzil Foster and En Vogue.

I loved their co-ordinated outfits. I especially coveted the silver chain mini dresses they wore during the "My Lovin' (No You're Never Gonna Get It)" video...those were killer! I still want one.


No comments:

Post a Comment