Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #1: "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips

Two songs with the title "Hold On" in 1990's top 20 hits. I'm not sure what that means, but I'm just pointing it out.

Anyways, the number one single in 1990 was "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips. They also had the number 19 hit (#19: "Release Me"). They were on a roll with their debut album. "Hold On" was written by Chynna Phillips, Glen Ballard and Carnie Wilson. Chynna always seemed like the lead singer--the camera always seemed to linger on her longer than the Wilson sisters. (Sidenote: just looking at current pictures of Chynna and she is still a foxy lady! Gorgeous).

I just had a conversation about this song with someone and it was hard to not laugh recording this...We were just laughing about the part where it's just the drum beat at the end...this "jam out", "break it down" part of the song. It's a little silly. I just remember that part of the video where they are purposefully walking down a California boardwalk, lip-synching as if their lives depended upon it.

My cousin Cecily and I also made up a choreographed routine to this as kids, so I think of that as well, when I hear this song. I remember there was some part where we had to run towards each other and it was supposed to be this big build up (maybe we even skipped?). So funny! We'd each choreograph a little section by ourselves, teach the other cousie and build the dance together. Good teamwork! Wilson Phillips would be proud.

So this marks the end of the Top 20 Billboard hits as covered by me! I am currently going through other years, to decide which top 20 I want to do next. '87 and '94 are both looking like possibilities.

This video comes in two parts--part one on top, part two below.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful job with what, collectively, can only be described as "challenging" material. :-)

    Looking forward to your next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, challenging material indeed! that made me laugh...

    ReplyDelete