Saturday, September 5, 2009

Top Songs of 1990: #2: "It Must Have Been Love" by Roxette


Let me just say this song is a LOT harder to sing and play than I thought. First of all, the woman from Roxette (which she probably has to introduce herself as at cocktail parties), Marie Fredriksson really has this incredible range. One I do not share. I had to find a key that didn't make me look ridiculous. There is also this strange key change at the end of the song that kind of threw me for a loop. For this blog I try and learn the song in 15 minutes and then do a few "takes"....(I dont' really want it to take much more time than that) but this took me a good hour to learn. Thanks a lot Roxette. Kidding. I really thought learning this song would be a piece of cake. It was very far from a slice of cake.

This song was from the "Pretty Woman" soundtrack. I can kind of picture Julia Roberts in the limo, leaving the hotel, looking longingly back at what she was leaving. I'm not even sure if that is when the song was played in the movie, but I somehow picture that moment.

Roxette seemed to be trying to be a 90's version of the Eurythmics. Girl/Guy duo, girl doing most of the singing....Fredriksson's male counterpart was Per Gessle, who also was the songwriter to "It Must Have Been Love" and most of their other biggest hits.

Just was reading about Roxette on Wikipedia and they apparently have had this wildly successful career in Sweden that continues to this day.

I have special associations with Roxette b/c Hunter and I would drive around in his car and I would sing the girl parts and he would sing the boy parts. We would sometimes circle around the neighborhood, instead of turning off the car, so that we could sing a song in it's entirety.

No comments:

Post a Comment