Saturday, November 7, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #18: "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals


I finally figured out how to make my little videos in color. Wow, this is like the equivalent of when Dorothy comes out of her tornado-ed house into Munchkin Land in 1939. Big technological breakthrough!

So the #18 song of 1989 was "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals. I think this song sort of stands the test of time--I didn't realize the lyrics were so...kind of cookie-cutter....but whatever--the riff of this song on the guitar is so great. I feel like it still gets played a lot. And the chorus is such an explosion of melody--I love how it contrasts with the percussive nature of the verses.

I would qualify Fine Young Cannibals as a One Hit Wonder Band. But if anyone begs to differ, please let me know. The lead singer has this great falsetto and it's kind of what makes this song memorable and a hit. How many hit songs can you think of where a man is singing that high?? The video was also pretty cool--dancers in sort of clown-ish costumes jumping forward and back to that great guitar riff.

I was saddened to learn that Rush Limbaugh used this song as opening music to his show. What can you do.

3 comments:

  1. Siobhan in color - it's right up there with Garbo talks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I would qualify Fine Young Cannibals as a One Hit Wonder Band. But if anyone begs to differ, please let me know."

    They also had "Good Thing". It made it to #1 also. Not a bad tune...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Thing_(song)

    BTW, I really love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi arturo--
    oh right!! i totally forgot about "good thing"--i liked that song, too. i can hear that riff in my head now....

    thanks so much for checking out my blog, too!!

    ReplyDelete