Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #20: "Two Hearts" By Phil Collins


I am back! I needed some time to re-coop after doing 20 covers!

I decided to pick the top billboard hits of 1989. I wasn't quite sure where to go next. But for now, I'm sticking with 1989.

The #20 Billboard hit of 1989 was "Two Hearts" by Phil Collins. It co-incided with the release of his album, "But Seriously.... , but does not appear on that album. The song was written for movie "Buster". Phil Collins wrote the music, and Lamont Dozier wrote the lyrics. Just did some research on Mr Dozier and he really was at the forefront of the whole Motown sound. He wrote and produced many songs by the Four Tops and the Supremes. I guess you can hear his influence in this song--very groovy....

"Two Hearts" really is kind of a doo-op-y 50's style ditty. The video is kind of cheeky--Phil plays all the parts--janitor, sound guy, lead singer, keyboard, all of it. It takes place on a sound stage, as if they were filming the song for a Top of the Pops-type show.

I realized while re-watching the video how Outkast's "Hey Ya!" video is almost a carbon copy of "Two Hearts". The star in each video(Andre 3000 or Phil Collins) plays all of the parts--on one 50's/Ed Sullivan-esque sound stage. Phil should get some copyright royalties from Outkast! I'm just sayin'....

2 comments:

  1. Nice job! This concept is a great example of the power of recycling - I would NEVER voluntarily listen to Phil Collins, but listening to you is always a pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, hopefully i made a small but manageable bridge between you and phil collins. ha! kidding...thanks, though! i did kind of enjoy re-watching that video though, on youtube. i'm not ashamed to admit it!

    ReplyDelete