Saturday, July 24, 2010

Top Songs of 1991: #16: "All The Man That I Need" by Whitney Houston


The number 16 Billboard hit of 1991 was "All The Man That I need" by Whitney Houston. The song was from her album "I'm Your Baby Tonight".

This song is very much in the "adult-contemporary" music genre. The production of it is very late 80's/early 90's with the loopy sax solo. And of course the gospel choir that appears at the end to give the song added oomph. Apparently the song was used by other artists before Whitney Houston--Sister Sledge (who knew?) and Linda Clifford. "All The Man That I Need" was written by Dean Pitchford and Michael Gore--just did a little research and see these were the two guys who wrote some of the songs in "Fame".

Whatever one might think of the song, there is no denying the power and complexity of Ms. Houston's voice. When she was good, she was really really good. When the song modulates she just GOES for it--showing us all her bells and whistles, but somehow they don't feel like bells and whistles at all.

Just re-watched the video for the first time in forever and noticed when she is singing in the empty white house, she is wearing a blazer, emblazened with her monogram. Work it. I love the little outfit she's wearing.

As with covering Mariah, I just sort of did my best here. I am not going to pretend I can sing like this woman!



No comments:

Post a Comment