Sunday, January 10, 2010

Top Songs of 1989: #5: "Miss You Much" by Janet Jackson

"Miss You Much" was the #5 song in 1989, performed by Janet Jackson and written by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis.

I could wax on and on about "Rhythm Nation 1814". I stand firm in my belief that it is a great pop album. "RN 1814" feels like one compact piece of art. There are little interludes between each songs--sometimes musical, sometimes just talking-- that directly reflects on the song that preceded it...it really gives the album a whole feel--a whole connected feel. (the interlude idea was used later by artists like Lauren Hill, Eminem, Outkast). Janet also seems to be stretching her range as an artist at this time, too. The title track still gives me goose bumps!

"Miss You Much" was the lead single off "Rhythm Nation". Songwriters Jam and Lewis have an explosive style that is instantly recognizable as their own. And Janet really delivers her star power in this song, and throughout the song. I love it when she sings "i tell your mamamamama"--definitely a highlight of the song.

I also adore her style that she had during the first few singles of "Rhythm Nation"--the pseudo-military jackets with lots of pins, chains dangling, skinny black pants. Choreography in the video is super fun, too--I feel like she just WORKS it! I remember owning this album and just thinking she was the bee's knees.


No comments:

Post a Comment