Thursday, November 5, 2009

Top Songs of 1989: #19: "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown

The number 19 biggest hit in 1989 was "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown. Not to be confused with "On My Own" from "Les Miserables". Although, I would pay big money to see Bobby Brown do a cover of that song.

"On Our Own" was from the "Ghostbusters II" soundtrack. Bobby was definitely in his prime as a solo artist around this time. "Don't Be Cruel", his mega-hit album was chock-full of singles.

L.A. Reid ("L.A. said 'you'll be a pop star/ just change everything you are'--yes, i'm quoting Pink), Baby Face and Daryl Simmons penned the song. The song definitely has this quality that seems SO of that late 80s/early 90's era. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, production-wise, but I know it when I hear it.

My favorite part of the song is the "oh-wee-oh / ya ya ya know it". That is totally the hook of the song.

I have been sick so my voice is super hoarse. It is the flu version of the song! "On Our Own: The Flu Re-Mix 2.0". Yeah!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this song was memorably bad, but I do like your haunting cover of it (no Ghostbuster pun intended it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really is pretty bad, isn't it?? but i did forget how catchy those "oh-wee-oh" parts were!

    ReplyDelete